How do you know if you’re addicted?
Many of you that read this post will be bloggers yourselves. You are already fully paid up citizens of Blogland. You get it. But do you ever wonder how far your #bloglove will take you? Is your phone now an additional limb? Have you started to speak in HTML? Are you lost without an hourly stats fix? Are you… *dramatic pause*…addicted? The following guide may just help you to recognise those tell-tale signs:
(If you are not a blogger at all but just happened to pop by for a nosy, *waves* come on in and have a chortle at the darkish side of our #blogworldproblems. You may even need this information to support a bloggy friend in need one day!)
An addicted parenting blogger* – Self Assesment:
- 1. You assess your inclinations to visit a place based entirely on photo opportunities, and the likelihood of the kids doing something ridiculous which will make interesting post fodder.
- 2. You avoid the coffee shop nearest to work before going in on a morning. You do not want to risk bumping into people that you may know. You may end up feeling obliged to head into work with them 5 minutes early. Those Instagram pics aren’t going to like themselves you know!
- 3. You wait for an appropriate moment at home to go to the toilet. You sneak your phone into your pocket as you go. Stealth. Special attempts are made not to be seen doing so.
You consider doing a commando crawl to the bathroom but realise that you no longer have the stamina.You get very huffy when you are followed 20 second later by small people that want stuff.
- 4. Dental appointments are arranged just for the uninterrupted time to catch up in the waiting room. You are disgruntled when your dentist is running on time. You are however, thrilled to find out that you need a root canal. You look forward to all of the quality time you will be able to spend thinking up posts with nobody demanding juice or their nose / bottom wiping.
- 5. Responding to non-blog related emails sends you into an uncontrolled rage. You do not have time for that sh*t!
- 6. You are blatantly rude to the nice person that tries to start up a conversation with you on the train. You had important stuff scheduled into that 20 minute journey. Chatting to strangers about the joys of Network Snail is not on your list!
- 7. You charge your phone battery every time you pass by your charger. Just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.
- 8. Before going on holiday you spend around three weeks scheduling and planning to ensure that your site is not neglected while you’re away. You consider packing some clothes and essential items approximately 45 mins before you’re due to leave the house.
- 9. Your housework is always rushed. Everything in your house is given a “quick flick over” because “you’ve got a lot on this week”.
- 10. You convince yourself that not all weeks are like this. You just have quite a bit to get done this week. Next week will be less demanding…
Or just maybe…
You aren’t addicted at all? Maybe you’ve just found a passion for something that makes you feel a part of an incredible community of supportive parents. Perhaps you’re just a life-starved mum or dad who worships their kids with every ounce of their being, but misses the challenge of work and the opportunity to have an actual thought all of their own? Maybe you just love it. Possibly even more than cake? Just maybe… 💕
- 11. Denial. 🙂
* NB: Please note that I only have experience of the parenting blogger kind. However I understand that similar symptoms can be experienced across all of Blogland. Let’s raise awareness. Any other symptoms welcomed in the comments section below.